Todd Clarke, executive chef at Tarragal Glen Retirement Village shares his barbecue go-to - mojito marinated chicken thigh on mango and black bean salsa.
Image for illustrative purposes only
Mojito Marinade for Chargrilled Cuban Chicken
Makes 2½ cups
¼ cup chopped garlic
½ cup chopped onion
2 cups fresh orange juice
½ cup fresh lime juice
½ cup olive oil
4 tsp sea salt
1 tbs cracked black pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp cayenne (optional for a bit of kick)
1 tbs fresh chopped coriander
1 tbs fresh chopped mint
6 chicken thighs
1. Mix together garlic, onions, orange juice and lime juice in a bowl.
2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan until just smoking.
3. Carefully slide the mixture from the bowl to the hot oil and simmer for five minutes to soften garlic and onion.
4. Season the marinade with the remaining ingredients and stir through to release flavours.
5. Transfer to a blender and pulse three times to combine.
6. Pour into a plastic container to cool.
7. Marinate chicken thighs in sauce. Keep in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour up to 8 hours before chargrilling on the barbecue.
Mango, Black Bean & Corn Salsa
3 large, diced mangoes
400g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed
425g tined sweet corn kernels, drained
¼ cup diced Spanish onion
2 limes juiced
½ cup coriander
1. Mix together mangoes, black beans, sweet corn and lime juice in a large bowl, then sprinkle coriander over mixture and toss to combine.
2. Dollop salsa over chargrilled chicken and serve with wedges of lime and fresh coriander leaves.
Meet RetireAustralia’s chefs:
For more information about Tarragal Glen Retirement Village, click here.