What kinds of personal information do we collect?
The types of personal information we may collect include, but are not limited to:
- your name and date of birth;
- your address (home and/or work);
- landline and mobile telephone numbers, fax number and email address;
- relationship status;
- property preferences (e.g. independent living apartment or care apartment);
- any correspondence between you and us;
- your “Twitter” or other social media identity posts;
- any other personal information provided to us when you make an inquiry, request information, respond to marketing or lodge a complaint.
If you are a resident or guest of one of our retirement villages, we may also collect:
- contact and identification details of any third party that you have authorised to negotiate or provide your personal information on your behalf (including any family members or attorneys appointed by you under a power of attorney);
- contact and identification details of any third party that you have authorised to be your ’emergency contact’;
- your Medicare and Pension details; and
- your banking or payment details (for example, for payment of services or any maintenance or sinking fund).
If you are an employee, contractor, business partner, service provider, job applicant or visitor on our site, we may also collect:
- personal information provided when you commence a business relationship with us;
- personal information provided when you seek employment with us or after you commence employment with us (for example, educational qualifications and information about your past work history);
- personal information obtained from background screening providers (including credit checks) before you commence employment or enter into a business relationship with us; and
- banking, tax and superannuation funds details (including your tax file number and ABN if applicable).
If you are a resident or guest, we may also collect sensitive personal information about you, such as health information. Health information may include information about:
- your current GP;
- health insurance details;
- any illness, allergy, injury or disability you may have and any treatment or medication that you are receiving;
- your expressed wishes about the future provision of health services to you; or
- a health service provided, or to be provided, to you.
If you are an employee, contractor, business partner, service provider or job applicant, we may also collect sensitive personal information, such as:
- if you are an employee, details of any allergies or dietary requirements you have or other medical conditions which you consider important for us to be aware of; and
- criminal record information obtained through our screening processes before you commence, or during the course of your employment or business relationship with us.
The privacy laws impose more onerous obligations on us regarding the handling of your sensitive information. We will only collect your sensitive information if:
- you have expressly consented to us doing so;
- the information is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to our business activities or functions;
- we are permitted to do so under the APPs (for example, where the collection is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to life, health or safety, or to provide a health service to you); or
- we are required or authorised to do so by law.
How do we collect personal information?
We may collect your personal information in a variety of ways, for example:
- directly from you, such as when you correspond with us in writing (such as by letters and emails), request information or contact us through our website or by telephone, subscribe to Ageless Magazine, provide your business card or other documents to us (such as application forms) or meet with us in person;
- from third parties we deal with, such as relatives, powers of attorney, our professional advisers, contracted service providers (including our call centre), health care providers or any other organisation with whom we do business;
- from third party websites we advertise on, such as contact forms on realestate.com.au and seniorshousingonline.com.au;
- from other companies within the RetireAustralia corporate group.
If you provide us with personal information about another person, you must ensure that you are authorised to do so. You must also inform that person of who we are, that we will use and disclose their personal information in accordance with this policy, and that they can gain access to that information in accordance with this policy.
Why do we collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information?
We may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information to provide you with the services and information you request, and to perform our functions and activities. If you do not provide us with the information we request, we may be unable to provide you with a service or maintain a relationship with you. In particular, we may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- maintaining and updating our records, where required;
- providing access to our website;
- any other purpose which relates to or arises out of requests made by you;
- responding to any complaint you may have;
- doing anything which you authorise or consent to us doing (including the provision of care services);
- the claims process for any government funded care; or
- taking any action we are required or authorised by law to take.
If you are a resident or guest of one of our retirement village, we also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- responding to your requests and inquiries, including providing you with any information requested by you;
- processing your application for residency with us;
- ensuring that you receive any necessary health or medical service, or any other service required;
- managing and maintaining our retirement villages.
If you are an employee, contractor, business partner, service provider, job applicant or visitor on our site, we also collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the purposes of:
- assessing your application for employment;
- your employment relationship with us;
- your business or other professional relationship with us.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We may disclose your personal information to:
- our employees;
- other companies within the RetireAustralia corporate group;
- health care professionals or other individuals (such as family members or carers), with your consent or where required or authorised by law;
- any emergency contact;
- your representative, for example, lawyer or attorney, as authorised by you;
- our business partners and service providers, for example, IT and administrative service providers;
- our professional advisers, such as insurers, accountants, auditors and lawyers;
- government and regulatory authorities, including taxation authorities or the police, where required or authorised by law to disclose your personal information;
- social media sites and organisations (such as Facebook) and other virtual communities and networks where people create, share or exchange information;
- other entities, with your consent (either express or implied).
From time to time, we may disclose your personal information to entities outside of Australia, including other companies within the RetireAustralia corporate group. These countries include New Zealand. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas entity to whom we disclose your personal information is carefully chosen and has policies, procedures and systems in place to ensure your personal information is otherwise handled in accordance with the Privacy Act.
Dealing With RetireAustralia online
Security of your personal information
We may hold your personal information in many ways including in physical documents as well as in electronic form. Some of your personal information may be stored electronically overseas by our service providers in Japan and the United States. The security of your personal information is important to us and we will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. We have implemented policies, procedures and systems to keep your personal information secure and ensure our compliance with the Notifiable Data Breaches (NDB) scheme under Part IIIC of the Privacy Act 1988 (Privacy Act).
We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de-identify personal information where we no longer require the information, or we are no longer required by law to retain that information.
Access and correction of information
In general, you may request access to the information that we hold about you at any time by either contacting your village manager (if you are a resident or guest) or by using our details provided below. We will respond to your request for access within a reasonable time. If we refuse to give you access to any personal information, we will provide you with reasons for our refusal and the relevant provisions of the Privacy Act we rely on to refuse access.
We may recover the reasonable costs of our response to a request for access to personal information.
We take reasonable steps to make sure that the information that we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date, complete, relevant and not misleading. However, if you believe your information is incorrect, incomplete or not current, you can request that we update this information by contacting your village manager (if you a resident or guest) or by using our details provided below. We will respond within a reasonable period after the request is made. If we decide not to correct your personal information, we will provide you with reasons for our decision. You may request that we associate with the information a statement that the information is inaccurate, out-of-date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading.
Lodging a complaint
If you have a complaint about how we handled your personal information, you can either contact your village manager (if you are a resident or guest) or contact us using the contact details below. You may wish to consider putting your complaint to us in writing. This will help us understand your complaint and may assist you if you wish to take your complaint further (for example by going to the Australian Information Commissioner). We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint and endeavour to provide a response within a reasonable timeframe.
If you are not satisfied with how your complaint is handled by us, then you may lodge a formal complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at:
- Telephone 1300 363 992 (if calling from outside Australia including Norfolk Island please call +61 2 9284 9749)
- If you are deaf, or have a hearing or speech impairment, contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner through the National Relay Service:
- TTY users phone 133 677 then ask for 1300 363 992
- Speak and Listen users phone 1300 555 727 then ask for 1330 363 992
- Internet relay users connect to the National Relay Service then ask for 1300 363 992
- Post: Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, GPO Box 5218, SYDNEY NSW 2001
- Fax: +61 2 9284 9666
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post at: GPO Box 5254, Brisbane QLD 4001
- by email: email@example.com
- by phone: 07 3011 7700
CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
RA (Holdings) 2014 Pty Limited
RA 2014 Pty Limited
Retire Australia Finance Pty Ltd
Retire Australia Management Pty Limited
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 3
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 4
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 5
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 6
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 7
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 8
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 9
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 10
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 11
Retire Australia Unit Trust No. 12
Retire Australia Management No. 2 Pty Limited
Stevens Holdings Trust
Stevens Nominees (Sydney) Trust
Tarragal Glen Retirement Village Pty
Tarragal Glen Retirement Village II Pty Limited
Tarragal Glen Retirement Village III Pty Limited
Glengara Unit Trust
Glengara Village Pty Limited
Forresters Beach Partnership
Wood Glen Retirement Village Pty Limited
Ultimate Staff Suppliers Pty Limited
The Glen Group (NSW) Pty Limited
Errol Investments Pty Limited
Murray Gardens Estate Unit Trust
Murray Gardens Retirement Estate Pty Limited
Riverina Gums Settlement
Riverina Gums Estate Pty Limited
Glengowrie Estate Unit Trust
Glengowrie Estate Pty Limited
Gannon Estates Pty Limited
Torrens Grove Partnership
Spring Grove Partnership
Spring Grove Estate Pty Limited
Gannon Retirement Trust
Gannon Retirement Services Pty Limited
Gannon Consolidated Pty Limited
Gannon Holdings (SA) Pty Limited
Laurels Estate Partnership
Lincoln Grove Estate Partnership
Lincoln Grove Estate Pty Limited
Boambee Gardens Estate Partnership
Boambee Gardens – Coffs Harbour Pty Limited
Scarborough Estate Trust
Scarborough Mews Estate Pty Limited
Tincture Press Pty Limited
Tea Tree Gardens Holdings Pty Limited
Quantivale Pty Limited
Krogate Management Pty Limited
Carlyle Gardens Retirement Village Bargara Pty Limited
Barton Vale Pty Limited
Bartonvale Lodge Pty Limited
Bartonvale Consolidated Pty Limited
Bartonvale Holdings (SA) Pty Limited
(i) Hatway Holdings Pty Limited
(i) Wellington Manor Pty Limited
(i) Manor Group Holdings (QLD) Pty Limited
(i) Manor Group Consolidated Pty Limited
The Manor Group Pty Limited
Drayton Villas Pty Limited
Lifestyle Holdings (NSW) Pty Limited
Lifestyle Consolidated Pty Limited
Lifestyle Management Services Pty Limited
Lifestyle Care Services Pty Limited
Lifestyle Property Services Pty Limited
Retire Australia (Palm Gardens) Pty Limited
Palm Gardens Holdings (SA) Pty Limited
Palm Gardens Consolidated Pty Limited
Retire Australia (Palm Gardens) Unit Trust
Retire Australia (Palm Gardens) Unit Trust No.2
Aberdeen (N.S.W.) Pty Limited
Retire Australia Sales (QLD) Pty Limited
Noyea Operations Pty Limited
Noyea Pty Limited
(ii) 30 Andrew Avenue Pty Ltd
Retire Australia (Tarragindi) Pty Ltd
(ii) Retire Australia Tarragindi Trust
Retire Australia (Lutwyche) Pty Ltd
Retire Australia (Ashgrove) Pty Ltd
Retire Australia (Burleigh) Pty Ltd
Retire Australia Care and Services Pty Ltd
Forresters Beach Partnership
RetireAustralia (Lane Cove) Pty Ltd
Retire Australia (Yeronga) Pty Ltd
(ii) Yeronga Heart Pty Ltd
(i) No equity held in this Entity, but all the beneficial rights are attributable to the Group.
(ii) Entities are Joint Venture, The Group owns less than 100%.